The California Ocean Litter Strategy Project
This webpage provides information on the implementation of the California Ocean Litter Strategy. The Ocean Litter Strategy was jointly developed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Marine Debris Program and the California Ocean Protection Council. The Ocean Litter Strategy outlines actions that stakeholders and OPC can take from 2018 through 2024 to prevent and reduce ocean litter in California.
During the development of the Ocean Litter Strategy, participants agreed to the following implementation structure:
- Every six months: Check-in webinars or conference calls
- Every two years: In-person meetings to assess progress and address challenges in Strategy implementation
- After six years: Update the Strategy
This site includes information on Strategy implementation, progress reporting, and how to get involved. If you would like to receive emails about the implementation process and upcoming webinars or events, please subscribe to OPC’s general email announcements and California Ocean Litter Strategy project email announcements (hosted by NOAA Marine Debris Program).
California Ocean Litter Strategy Webinar
The recording for the June 13, 2023 California Ocean Litter Strategy webinar is now available:
The webinar included presentations by:
- NOAA Marine Debris Program and OPC on recent efforts related to embedding diversity, equity, and inclusion in marine debris projects;
- USEPA Region 9 on the Draft National Strategy to Prevent Plastic Pollution;
- The Department of Resources Recycling & Recovery (CalRecycle) on the Plastic Pollution Prevention and Packaging Producer Responsibility Act (SB 54) Implementation;
- The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) on the Interstate Technology Regulation Council (ITRC) Microplastics Tools & Resources and the Safer Consumer Products Program; and
- Surfrider Foundation and California Product Stewardship Council on recent policy announcements.
Past meeting recordings and webinar slides are available on the Project Resources page.
Ocean Litter Strategy Workgroup Updates
The Ocean Litter Strategy Stakeholders have developed workgroups centering around each of the six goals in the Strategy. Below are the upcoming workgroup meetings.
- Goal 1 and 2: Source Reduction – Policies and Incentives, EPR, and Changes in Product Design
Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 10:00 – 12:00 PM PST
Goal 1 and 2 Registration Link
- Goal 3: Waste Management and Interception on Land
Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM PST
Goal 3 Meeting Link
- Goal 4: Research Existing and Emerging Issues
Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 1 – 2:30 PM PST
Goal 4 Meeting Link
- Goal 5: Behavior Change and Consumer Education
Monday, August 21, 2023 at 1 – 2:30 PM PST
Goal 5 Meeting Link